Garden Therapy
This time last week I was walking the halls of Parliament.
Now I am ripping chickens apart to make stock, stacking books gathered from second hand stores and tending the garden. Thinking about what to plant, where to plant and other jobs that need doing.
To step away from comfort and jump into the somewhat unknown and unpredictable is fear inducing. But strangely enough I don't feel afraid.Admittedly this week I arranged to meet with my friendly accountant and super fund rep. I had been rational in taking this next step; measured and informed. But in doing so I had put as much weight into the inclusion and benefit of creativity in my life, as I had the need for a regular wage, reputation and ability to pay the bills. The check-in with them was a sense check - had I got it right?
Luckily it had balanced, and buoyed by my friendly specialists and a long overdue breakfast with a fellow creative, in the form of a composer, I felt confident.
Weeks ago I had thought that in these first few weeks the garden would be my salvation - my therapist. While it has only been a few days of freedom and certainly the garden has been my constant companion; there is more going on. It's been quite busy and already I am longing for days that are empty, without the sound or imposition of others. It will come - I reassure myself.
But all in all I feel balanced. There is already a bodily rhythm, like a wave machine that is moving instinctively. It hasn't settled on anything in particular, but it is fuelling me to read another chapter of a friends' book, plant new season strawberries, paint a few steps on the desperate-to-be-painted studio, that should have been painted 18 months ago.
I am playing with my days, already mindful of my spending, now that I no long receive a wage. An early morning blood donation, with free parking and a decent coffee and snack afterwards. A win win for both parties.
A thorough review of the kitchen cupboards before the weekly shop to ensure that I am using EVERYTHING before spending more. Looking for cost effective meals that fill and fuel.
Argh, frugality, born out of poverty. It brings me such comfort and a sense that I am winning. The rubber bands on spring onions - saved for later. Paper bags for mushrooms - carefully folded to use for drying home grown herbs from the garden. It is an extremely satisfying dance.
Yesterday I bartered with the neighbours; rosemary, vietnamese mint and oregano plant for them, and lemons and empty jam jars for me. The neighbourly transactions have begun and I long for more.
Having time and space provides the opportunity to ponder, explore, investigate and experiment, without external deadlines or pressure.
So, I am becoming the explorer and adventurer and when the internal voice bubbles up and shouts...'What are you doing?" I am learning to greet it as I casually walk past, throw on my gardening boots and check on the tomato seedlings. They are almost big enough to plant out.
Copyright (C) Garden Therapy by Kylie Elizabeth Eastley. All rights reserved.

I’m impressed !
ReplyDelete